Job Title: Occupational Therapist I
Sector: MEDICAL/NURSING/PHARMCEUTICAL/ HEALTH CARE
Location: NORTH -PORT OF SPAIN,WOODBROOK,ST. JAMES, MORVANT
Town / City:
Job Type: Permanent full-time
Occupational Therapist I
The incumbent will be responsible for planning, organizing and conducting occupational therapy programmes to facilitate rehabilitation of mentally, emotionally or physically handicapped patients of institutions within the Authority. Work involves assessing patients and supervising all activities designed to assist patients regaining proper mental functioning and adjustment to handicaps.
- Plans and organizes physical, social, recreational activities for in-patients and day patients and observes their reactions to treatment. Arranges for resource personnel to conduct such activities.
- Consults with other members of rehabilitation team to determine activity programmes consistent with needs and capabilities of individual patients and co-ordinates occupational therapy programmes with other therapeutic disciplines.
- Maintains proper records of patients’ problems and progress with regard to evaluation and treatment plan; supervises activities in which patients are engaged and makes adjustments to programmes according to patients’ progress.
- Identifies and obtains materials, tools, supplies and equipment for the various types of activities in which patients are engaged and instructs/assists them in their use.
- Attends case conferences concerning patients’ welfare and represents the views of occupational therapists on committees of various organizations such as medical committees.
- Designs, makes and fits adaptive devices such as splints and braces according to medical prescription.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS AND EXPERIENCE
- A University Degree in Occupational Therapy
- At least one (1) year post qualification experience in a similar or related job function
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the public.
- Registration with the Council for Professions Related to Medicine.