Find Jobs in Trinidad and Tobago - TrinidadJob.com
Job Title: Senior Accountant
Sector: ACCOUNTING,AUDIT,FINANCE,ECONOMICS,PURCHASING,INSURANCE ADMIN,
Location: NORTH EAST -ST AUGUSTINE,TUNAPUNA,AROUCA,PIARCO
Job Type: Permanent full-time
Job Description: Senior Accountant
The Senior Accountant reports to the Chief Executive Officer and provides effective and efficient administration of the Accounting Department of the MH Tactical Response Group of companies (MHTRG), ensuring the provision of sound fiscal advice, accurate and comprehensive financial accounts, management reports, profitable and effective cash management, prudent risk management with secure control and safeguarding of MHTRG’s assets and liabilities, working in compliance with recognised accounting principles, regulatory and statutory guidelines, internal financial policies and procedures and the laws and regulations of Trinidad and Tobago.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure that practical and effective financial and accounting policies and procedures are implemented and being adhered to, in order to safeguard MHTRG assets and financial resources.
- Develop and maintain a financial management framework to ensure that the company operates within an efficient and effective financial system, and in accordance with the company’s financial policies and procedures.
- Manage the preparation of the Annual Estimates of Revenue and Expenditure in accordance with established guidelines and timelines.
- Effectively manage the purchasing system, including the preparation of Purchase orders, and maintenance of relevant schedules, in compliance with internal policies and procedures.
- Effectively manage the invoicing of clients, ensuring acquisition of relevant approvals, and managing receivables to ensure that bad debts do not occur / are minimised.
- Effectively manage payables and disbursements, ensuring compliance with budgets and with the appropriate policies and procedures.
- Establish and maintain the Company’s Chart of Accounts.
- Manage petty cash system, in compliance with policies and procedures.
- Ensure credit card purchases have been approved accordingly, and are accurately recorded and paid on a timely basis.
- Liaise with financial institutions, as required.
- Preparation, management and control of all aspects of Tax Management, ensuring that amounts are correctly calculated, reported on and remitted to the relevant authorities in an accurate and timely manner.
Monitoring and Reporting
- Consistently monitor the business performance of MHTRG against Plan so that deviations from plans and standards and other strategic trends are detected and brought to the attention of the Executive leadership team and the Board of Directors.
- Provide the Executive leadership team, Senior Management and the Board with timely information, interpreted as required, to enable the effective commercial management of the business.
- Prepare monthly financial statements, financial reports, special analyses, and information reports, and present recommendations for any requisite changes.
- Manages the end of year closing of accounts and preparation of associated financial statements in accordance with established guidelines and timelines.
- Prepare annual audit schedules and liaise with external auditor accordingly to facilitate the timely completion of annual financial audits.
- Ensures that the appropriate accounts reconciliation is completed on a timely basis and reported on accordingly.
- Ensures the Accounts Department is staffed with a competent, qualified team.
- Manage employees under remit, including performance management and identification of key training needs to enhance effectiveness.
- Oversee the day-to-day workflow of subordinates, providing support as required.
- Ensure the preparation and approval of the Company’s payroll and the timely returns to the relevant statutory authorities.
- Maintain accurate deduction schedules for all employees as required
- Ensure that all TD4’and payroll are balanced on the designated date of each year, and liaise with Human Resource department to ensure TD4’s issued to employees in a timely manner.
- Ensure that Monthly and Annual Returns are completed accurately, approved and submitted in a timely manner.
- Promote safety awareness and the development of a safety culture within the company
- Any other related duties as may be assigned from time to time
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to inspire confidence and trust.
- Proven leadership and problem solving skills.
- Ability to establish priorities, multi-task and meet deadlines effectively and efficiently.
- Ability to function independently with strong attention to detail.
- Reliable, initiative and strong decision-making skills.
- Detailed experience of financial processes and procedures.
- Ability to develop and implement internal controls and accounting procedures
Minimum Experience and Qualifications
- Undergraduate degree in Accounting or a Professional Qualification such as ACCA, CIMA, CPA, CMA or equivalent.
- Postgraduate qualification in Accounting, or relevant field would be considered an asset.
- At least five (5) years experience in financial accounting, with at least three (3) of those years in a lead position.
Any equivalent combination of knowledge, skills and abilities.